Monday, September 29, 2014

Monday, September 29, 2014

Dear Friends and Fam,
     Hello! It is so good to hear from all of you I look forward to these two short hours that I get to email allll week! Wow where to start?! Well we started at Welfare square last Tuesday. We only go there twice a week on Tuesdays and Thursdays but it is from 9 in the morning til 5 at night so basically all day. I did not get much training and because there are only 4 of us sisters there at a time we are expected to just jump right into it sooo thats what I tried to do. We take tours around the welfare center to the bakery, cannery, DI, unemployment center and different places to show people exactly what welfare square is about. We show them a movie clip about Jesus Christ and the service he gave and how we try and implement that. We get a lot of referrals there because a lot of the people that come there are members. There are service Elders that serve at Welfare Square too but they just take the orders of people that come in to receive help. When it gets busy in the afternoon we will also fill peoples orders by walking them around the store and telling them the number of items they get. It warms my heart SO MUCH to see these special needs Elders doing this amazing and important work. Handicapped people have such a special place in my heart and it is a sincere privilege to work with them a couple days a week. Serving at Welfare Square is incredibly humbling. Although the people that come in there are a little rough around the edges sometimes you can truly see the light of Christ in their eyes! Can I just say that I love the security guards on Temple Square and Welfare Square? The first day I was there last Tuesday my companion and I were walking back from the cannery when this homeless guy approached us all creepy like and was asking us for help. We are not allowed to give money or really give anything to these people and he would not leave us alone so we felt a little weird and unsafe. Right as we were trying to make an escape two security guards walk out (I swear the Men in Black theme song was playing in the background) and they came to the rescue. They took care of it for us it was so awesome. I felt soo cool like I was a celebrity or something with security! We also had another homeless man approach us on thursday but I think he was harmless. As we were walking away from him we were like "okay bye, see you later, have a good day!" and he said "Okay bye Sisters, love you too!" haha we were like "uhhh sir we did not say we loved you." It was soo funny. When I am not at Welfare Square I am at Temple Square contacting people or contacting people online. Last week we had a woman named Mary from Fresno, California come on chat and she had amazing questions. She is like the perfect investigator We got her information and we have been talking to her all week on the phone. We sent the local missionaries and we are working together with those Elders teaching her the lessons. She is so receptive. On Saturday I committed her to baptism on October 25th! YES! We are so excited. She has some family that are members and she is going to have her uncle baptize her. It is sad because we will not be able to be there in person but we do get to skype it so we are really happy! We will teach her again tomorrow. On Friday I went on an exchange with my district leader Sister Jager from Switzerland! It was really cool I learned a lot from her we were able to get a couple new investigators. No I did not get to go to the Womens Broadcast on Saturday :( wahhh. They let every sister have an opportunity to go twice so I guess I will go the next 2 times. There were so many women here it was insane. I remember last year when my went to the broadcast with mom and grandma when President Monson spoke I do not remember exactly what he said but I got another strong impression in that meeting that I needing to go on a mission. A year later I am HERE. Like what? I totally forgot about that experience until I was walking home that night seeing all the women and feeling of their spirits I was overwhelmed with gratitude. My companion got to go so I went on an exchange for a couple hours with Sister Merrill from Idaho. We explored the secret tunnels and found the mecca of vending machines so I was okay with it haha. AHHH so I went to the temple this morning to the 7am session and guess who was in the session with us? drum roll please...........Dallin H. Oaks and his wife!!!!!!!!!!!! I kid you not it was amazing!!!!!! When we were walking into another room his wife was right in front of me and he came up and were holding hands RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME. (tears) It was the sweetest thing ever. I was less than 2 feet away from him and I could not say anything because we were in the temple but I was screaming inside. He brought such a special and powerful spirit I feel so blessed I got to experience that. ANNNDD when we were walking out we saw the one and only DAVID ARCHULETA! He smiled at me.(loud heart beats) apparently he is here all the time? So needless to say it was a great morning. I love my mission. Well this is my longest email yet. Thank you every one for your love, support, and prayers. I am happy to hear everyone is doing well. Don't get washed away in a flood please. Love you all.
                                                    -Sister Leavitt <3
Sister Vasi from Tonga! Ma la la lai! She's my fave! This is back at the MTC
Sister Cardus and I
 




No comments:

Post a Comment